(EDITOR'S NOTE: The following is from the Sudbury Fire Department.)
Open Burning permits are available at Fire Headquarters 77 Hudson Road. Open burning is regulated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Permits are issued January 1st of each year. Sudbury residents may conduct open burning from January 15th to May 1st. Rules and regulations are printed on the permit that is issued.
You can register for daily burning online at http://sudbury.ma.us/burn or by telephone at 978-579-2134. Make sure that you have your permit number available before registering.
Please feel free to call the fire station with any questions at 978-443-2239
Once a permit is received, it is valid for one entire season but may be revoked if all laws stated in MGL 148, 527 CMR are not abided by. Such burning laws include:
- You may burn brush only. No leaves, trash, tires, hay, etc. is permitted.
- The fire must be kept at least 75 feet from all dwellings.
- A water source must be present and accessible at all times while burning.
- Tools, such as a shovel or rake, should be kept near-by.
- Burning of brush for commercial land clearing is prohibited.
- An adult must tend to the fire at all times.
- Fire are only permitted during the dates and times mentioned above.
- All types of accelerates are prohibited