Five Things to Start Your Day: Oct. 15
A few facts, figures and tidbits to start your workweek.
1. FORECAST: Today — A chance of showers, mainly after 2pm. Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a high near 74; Tonight — A chance of showers. Cloudy, with a low around 55.
2. WHAT TO CELEBRATE TODAY: Global Handwashing Day — Shouldn’t every day be global handwashing day? An organization by the apropos name of The Global Public-Private Partnership for Handwashing with Soap felt it necessary to create an entire day of awareness to spread the gospel of clean hands. Anyone can celebrate, and public health benefits. It’s a win-win.
3. ACTORS/ACTRESSES WANTED FOR MUSICAL: The Performing Arts Connection announces auditions for the musical HAIR! Seeking up to 40 high school and college students for this production. Auditions by appointment at The Performing Arts Connection in Sudbury today at 8 p.m., or Wednesday at 7:30 p.m.. Please prepare 16 to 32 bars of any song in the style of HAIR that showcases your vocal and acting ability. Please provide sheet music in the correct key (accompanist provided). Everyone will learn a short dance routine and some may be asked to stay for readings and more singing. Please bring a headshot or recent photo and resume (if you have one) and the consent form if you are under age 18.
Shows at Arsenal Center for the Arts on Feb. 28 at 7:30 p.m. and March 1 at 7:30 p.m.
For more information or to make an audition appointment, click here.
4. AUDITIONS FOR ANNIE: Open Door Theater will hold auditions for its 2013 production of “Annie” today and tomorrow at the Dragonfly Theater at RJ Grey Junior High, 16 Charter Road, Acton. Talented singers, dancers and actors of all ages and abilities are encouraged; actors must be age 9 as of Jan. 1 to participate. Rehearsals for “Annie” will start Sunday, Oct. 21. Please reserve your audition spot online at www.opendoortheater.org.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1878 - Edison Electric Light Company incorporated; 1912 - Red Sox Tris Speaker makes only World Series unassisted double play, from the outfield; 1939 - LaGuardia Airport opens in NYC; 1951 - "I Love Lucy" debuts on CBS TV; 1989 - Wayne Gretzky passes Gordie Howes as NHL's all time top scorer; 1990 - Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev wins Nobel Peace Prize