Five Things to Start Your Day: Oct. 16
A few facts, figures and tidbits to start your Tuesday.
1. FORECAST: Today — Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 58; Tonight — Clear, with a low around 35.
2. MEET BRANDON SPIKES OF THE NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes will visit Learning Express Toys of Sudbury from 5-7 p.m. The first 150 guests will be given a ticket to meet Spikes and get his autograph.
3. STORY TIME FOR TOTS: Bring the kids for Story Time at The Happy Chocolatier at 1 p.m. on Tuesdays. Ideal for children ages 2-6, though older and younger siblings are always welcome. They will read fun stories about chocolate, ice cream and more. Questions? Call 978-429-8485. This is a free event and is located at the Nagog Park Mall across from the Nagog Reservoir on Rte. 2A in Acton.
4. BE KIND TO YOUR BOSS: Why? Because today is Boss's Day, a secular holiday celebrated on Oct. 16 in the United States and Canada. It has traditionally been a day for employees to thank their bosses for being kind and fair throughout the year.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1964 - China becomes world's 5th nuclear power; 1969 - 100-1 shot NY Mets beat Orioles 5-3 and win 66th World Series in 5; 1972 - Creedence Clearwater Revival breaks up; 1984 - Baboon heart transplanted into a 15-day-old baby girl; 1984 - Desmond Tutu, black Anglican Bishop, wins Nobel Peace Prize; 1987 - Dow Jones for 1st time falls more than 100 pts (108.35); .