Haarde to Run Unopposed for Selectmen; SPS Will Have New Member
Lisa Gutch, the current vice chair of the Sudbury Public Schools Committee, is not running for re-election.
Deadline to pull papers for the March 25 Annual Town Election passed Tuesday (5 p.m.) and two things became clear: there won't be a change on the Board of Selectmen and there will be a change on the Sudbury Public Schools Committee.
Current Selectman Vice Chair Bob Haarde will run unopposed for his second term. Haarde was a strong voice last year when the Lavender liquor license violation story broke, calling for an investigation into how it happened.
Residents became so frustrated with the lack of clarity from Selectmen Chair Larry O'Brien and Selectman John Drobinski, a Special Town Meeting was held in September to increase the Board from three to five members.
The vote passed, but an appeal to the State Legislature resulted in the town having to vote on the movement again at Annual Town Election.
The Sudbury Public Schools Committee will have a new voice after a tumultuous 2012 over the Janice Donahue dismissal.
Current Vice Chair Lisa Gutch did not pull nomination papers as of 5 p.m. Tuesday. According to an updated list from Town Hall, the race for that seat will be between Scott Nassa, who ran unsuccessfully two years ago, and Matthew Barach. Craig W. Gruber, who pulled papers earlier this year, was not on the updated list.
Below are the 15 positions that are available this year and the residents running for election:
- Board of Selectmen - One 3-year term: Bob Haarde
- Board of Assessors - One 3-year term: Trevor Haydon
- Goodnow Library Trustee - Two 3-year terms: Sarah M. Sogigian; Carol Hull
- Board of Health - One 3-year term: Carol J. Bradford
- Park & Recreation Commission - Two 3-year terms: Richard C. Williamson; Jill D. Krunnfusz; Michael T. Ensley; Paul Griffin
- Park & Recreation Commission - Two 2-year terms: Michael T. Ensley; James Marotta; Robert Beagen
- Planning Board - Two 3-year terms: Martin Long; Craig C. Lizotte; Peter Jon Abair
- Sudbury School Committee - One 3-year term: Matthew Barach; Scott Nassa
- Sudbury Housing Authority - One 5-year term: Lydia Pastoszek
- Lincoln-Sudbury School Committee — Two 3-year terms: Kevin Matthews; Radha Gargeya