UPDATED: Undercooked Chicken Again Served at a SPS School
Students at Noyes Elementary received the food.
UPDATED: 6:07 P.M
Parent reports of students at Noyes Elementary School being served undercooked chicken surfaced mid-afternoon on Monday, and a release by Principal Annette Doyle confirmed the report.
According to the release, fourth-grade students were served undercooked popcorn chicken "unintentionally."
"The kitchen staff recognized that the chicken was undercooked and took immediate action to remove the chicken from serving line," Doyle said in the release.
"We will follow all protocols and procedures and take appropriate action," Superintendent Anne Wilson said in an email to Sudbury Patch. "Parents of children who may have been impacted were contacted directly by Mrs. Doyle."
"I was informed of the error and initiated an investigation. Sudbury Board of Health and the Whitson's District Manager have been notified of the incident," Doyle said in the release. "In addition, I have been in close consultation with the Director of Business and Finance and the Superintendent.
"This afternoon, Ms. Bradford and I met with the children who may have been impacted and I contacted their parents.
"I believe we have been in contact with all families potentially impacted; however, the following is important information related to undercooked chicken:
- Bacteria in undercooked chicken incubates in 6 hours to five days
- Your child should be monitored for stomach and/or intestinal problems for the five days.
- If your child should develop stomach and/or intestinal problems, contact your primary care doctor.
"If you have questions or concerns, please contact Mrs. Bradford or me."
This is the second time in a year undercooked chicken has been served to SPS students.
On Feb. 17, 2012, students at Nixon Elementary School were served undercooked chicken strips at lunch that day. Robert Leupold, health director for the Sudbury Board of Health, was notified immediately by school officials and an investigation began, Wilson said.
None of those students reported getting sick.