Since I included a list of 50 reasons why people don’t use social media in my most recent post, I thought it only made sense to follow up with a similar list, only this time focusing on the opposing point of view, the reasons why people do use social media.
Sure, as I wrote in that last post about those who are reluctant to jump on the social media bandwagon, “there are still plenty of skeptics, detractors and naysayers among us, especially in the corporate world, where cautiousness and conservatism abound.”
But as I also pointed out, there are more than 800 million users of Facebook, over 120 million people on LinkedIn and more than 200 million accounts on Twitter. There’s certainly a critical mass of people using social media today, enough practitioners and proponents of these online communication platforms for those of us who are immersed in this space to be able to confidently draw the conclusion that this is no passing fad.
Why so many aficionados and devotees? Why all the fanfare? What’s the big deal? Ask anyone who uses social media on a regular basis what they like about it and they could probably go on forever. These are just some of the reasons you’d likely hear…
50 Reasons Why People Use Social Media
1. It’s my job.
2. I enjoy making new friends.
3. It’s a great way to keep up with the news.
4. I don’t want to be left behind.
5. I like sharing pictures and videos.
6. It’s how I stay in touch with friends, relatives, colleagues and clients.
7. It’s how everyone communicates nowadays.
8. It’s easy.
9. It helps my search engine rankings.
10. I like talking to celebrities.
11. It’s where I go for customer service.
12. It saves me time.
13. I like to express my opinions.
14. My favorite stores and brands are using it.
15. I use it to screen job candidates.
16. It’s free.
17. It’s where I turn for help and support.
18. I like the immediacy of it.
19. People expect me to be using it.
20. I’m a writer.
21. People answer questions about practically anything there.
22. I like to influence others.
23. I enjoy a good argument.
24. I use it to promote my work.
25. I like “listening” to others.
26. I’m lonely.
27. I’m not shy.
28. I need to keep up with the younger generation.
29. My employer encourages it.
30. I like being a “publisher” of my own content.
31. I use it for networking.
32. I like technology.
33. I like anything to do with the Internet.
34. I’m a people person.
35. I have to keep up with the competition.
36. It’s how customers and prospects find me.
37. I want to be known as a thought leader.
38. I care about my brand.
39. I like checking in from restaurants, concerts and other special events.
40. My online reputation is important to me.
41. It leads to sales.
42. It leads to donations.
43. I hate talking on the phone.
44. I’m tired of email.
45. I’m looking for a new job.
46. I’m in front of a computer all day anyway.
47. It’s fun.
48. I like the camaraderie.
49. I enjoy getting feedback.
50. I’d be bored without it.
There you have it – 50 reasons why people use social media. What other reasons have you heard people give for publishing a blog, establishing a presence on Facebook, using LinkedIn for networking and tweeting up a storm? Please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts on what I’ve written about in this post by leaving a comment below.
Note: This post, "50 Reasons Why People Use Social Media," was initially published on the blog, A New Marketing Commentator, on November 2, 2011.