Okay. It’s just a sign, but the marketer in me couldn’t help but be ridiculously impressed with how much it had going for it. Seriously, I was so smitten with its stopping power, I had to, well, stop whatever it was that I was doing and take a picture of it.
I like this sign for more reasons than one…
- It’s located on the floor, where you might not necessarily expect to see a sign.
- Its message serves to reinforce the Lahey Clinic brand and goes a long way toward the promotion of healthy living.
- For walkers, it’s a very practical sign with an extremely useful purpose, providing them with a convenient way to measure the distance they cover.
- It helps bring in foot traffic — literally — to the mall, which is obviously good for business.
- Lahey Clinic is just a stone’s throw away from the mall, so there’s a clever local tie-in.
- The footprints on the sign are inviting and playful, betraying a brand that isn’t afraid to have some fun.
- It’s very well written, succinct and to the point, getting a lot of mileage (no pun intended) out of precious few words.
What about you and your brand? How can you make the most of even the simplest of signs? How can you turn an everyday, ordinary message into an extraordinarily powerful piece of creative work? Please don’t hesitate to share your thoughts about this uncommonly cool sign or any others you’ve seen for yourself by posting a comment below. Thanks.
Note: This post, "The Cure for the Common Sign," was initially published on the blog, A New Marketing Commentator, on February 7, 2013.