Thursday: Few flurries or snow showers on Cape, otherwise clearing skies. Highs near 40.
Friday: Partly sunny, windy & mild with highs from 45-50.
Saturday: Sunshine gives way to clouds by afternoon. Could be a few flurries. Highs near 40.
2. 6TH-GRADE VALENTINE SOCIAL: Danny's Place in Acton will host this holiday social from 5-7 p.m. There is a $5 fee for non-members. Starting at 5 p.m., the music and lights get rolling with DJ Wid.
3. CLOTHING/TOY/ART SUPPLY DRIVE: Start your spring cleaning early and gather up all your gently-used children's clothing for Cradles to Crayons. If you no longer have little ones at home, consider purchasing some on-sale clothing, new underwear/socks ,books, new art supplies, shoes on your next trip to Target or another department store. Please see the complete list of what Cradles accepts at their web site: cradlestocrayons.org/Boston/donate-goods/items-we-accept.
4. WHAT TO CELEBRATE TODAY: Yes, it's Valentine's Day, but did you know it's also National Organ Donor Day? National Organ Donor Day encourages people to sign up to donate their organs. It may save a life.
- 1859 — Oregon became the 33rd state in the United States.
- 1912 — Arizona became the 48th state in the United States.
- 1920 — The League of Women Voters was founded.
- 1929 — Members of Al Capone's gang killed rival gang members in the St. Valentine's Day massacre.
- 1989 — Iran's Ayatollah Khomeini issued a fatwa, calling for the death of Salman Rushdie, author of The Satanic Verses.
- 2001 — The Kansas Board of Education reversed its 1999 ruling and restored evolution to the state's science curriculum.
- 2003 — Dolly the sheep, the first cloned mammal, was euthanized because of incurable lung cancer.