Thursday: Sun & clouds, a bit breezy. Highs in the mid 30s.
Friday: Fantastic winter day with tons of sunshine & no wind. Highs near 40.
Saturday: Early sun fades behind afternoon clouds. Some snow possible by day's end. More likely at night. Highs near 40.
2. FUNDRAISER IN ACTON: The locally-owned businesses at Acton Woods Plaza make donating to charities a regular event each month. Today, the Acton-Boxborough United Way (ABUW) is the designated charity of choice for the Plaza's 3rd Thursdays Are For Giving. Retail businesses will donate a portion of the day's revenues while non-retail businesses will make a pre-determined donation to ABUW.
Acton Coffee House, CambridgeWear, JoKaren Lingerie, Kitchen Outfitters and Woolpack will donate based on the day’s revenue. QuickCuts will donate $2 for every haircut, Enterprise Bank, First Rugs and J. Olson Jewelers will make a cash donation.
Be sure to visit these stores on Thursday, February 21st. Your purchase will support Acton-Boxborough United Way, a local non-profit working since 1981 to improve lives in our two towns by mobilizing the caring power of community. See www.abuw.org for more information.
3. THE GONDOLIERS: The Sudbury Savoyards are pleased to present Gilbert & Sullivan's The Gondoliers. The fictitious kingdom of 'Barataria', infants switched at birth, and lowly gondoliers ascending (almost!) to the monarchy all adds up to a typical topsy-turvy happy ending. The Sudbury Savoyards do it justice on a grand scale with full orchestra, large ensemble cast singing and dancing, colorful costumes and sets, plus some surprising twists to the usual farce G&S fans have come to expect.
Evening performances are Feb. 22,23, March 1, 2 at 8 pm with matinees at 2 pm on Feb. 24 and March 2. Ticket prices are $24 for Adults, $18 for Seniors/Students, $12 for Children (age 12 and under). Special price of $15/$12 for the Dress Rehearsal performance on Feb. 21 at 8pm.
The theater is general seating and handicapped accessible. A limited number of tickets will be available at the door.
The Sudbury Savoyards, founded in 1961, is an all-volunteer organization with all of the net proceeds donated to the relief of world hunger.
For tickets and more information visit: www.sudburysavoayrds.org or call 978-443-8811.
4. WHAT TO CELEBRATE TODAY: Today is Card Reading Day. Card Reading Day is a fun day. It's a day to read cards..... no more, no less. Beyond a doubt, the stationery and Ecard companies love this day. It encourages you to send cards. They like that.
- 1878 — The first telephone book was issued (New Haven, Conn.).
- 1916 — Battle of Verdun, the longest and one of the bloodiest engagements of World War I, began.
- 1965 — Black nationalist leader Malcolm X was assassinated.
- 1972 — President Nixon became the first U.S. president to visit China.
- 1995 — Steve Fossett became the first person to cross the Pacific Ocean solo in a balloon.
- 2002 — It was confirmed that Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl was dead, allegedly murdered by Islamic militants.