Tuesday: A mix of sun & clouds. Highs from 49-54.
Wednesday: More clouds than sun. Dry roads all over New England though. Highs in the low 50s. Breezy across the Cape.
Thursday: Happy Thanksgiving! A mix of sun & clouds with highs from 52-57. Little to no wind.
2. RANDOM EVENTS THAT CHANGED HISTORY: This course will introduce the student to circumstances involving events that significantly influenced history. Ancient and modern history are filled with stories that are puzzling or awe-inspiring, or both. One conjecture is that history, recorded or inferred, is often driven by random events that are not fully understood or appreciated until ‘later’. For example, we will address the Tunguska, Russia atmospheric explosion in June 1908 and the Great Molasses Flood of January 1919 in Boston, among others. Instructor Bill Koenigsberg had a 4-decade-long career in industrial research involving a broad range of disciplines. He has always been interested in finding the root cause of problems (technical or otherwise). Class will be held from 10-11:30 a.m. Visit or call the Sudbury Senior Center to register and for more information at (978) 443-3055. Pay the $25 fee as you register – your payment reserves your space.
3. THE GREAT BOOK DISCUSSION: The Great Discussions Book Group will meet at 7:30 pm at the Acton Memorial Library in the second-floor conference room. The phone number for the book club contact is 978-263-5956. Tonight, Someone Knows My Name - Lawrence Hill, will be discussed.
4. WHAT TO CELEBRATE TODAY: Today is Beautiful Day. Here is our part fact, part speculative reasons this day was created:
- A song by the band U2 is titled Beautiful Day.
- The Beautiful Day monster appeared on Ed Sullivan and later Sesame Street. The monster created mayhem and chaos, in his attempt to ruin a beautiful day.
- It's creator wanted to create and enjoy the perfect, beautiful day.
- The Beach Boys song It's a Beautiful Day.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1982 Drew Barrymore at age 7 hosts Saturday Night Live; 1983 100 million watch ABC-TV movie "Day After," about nuclear war; 1984 McDonald's made its 50 billionth hamburger; 1992 Queen Elizabeth's home Windsor Castle catches fire; 1995 Princess Di admits she cheated on Prince Charles in a TV interview