1. FORECAST: Today — Sunny. Highs in the mid 60s. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph; Tonight — Mostly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers. Not as cool with lows in the lower 50s.
2. LET'S TALK ABOUT 'TED': Goodnow Library will host a 3-session forum using the popular internet-based TED talks as a catalyst for group discussion. TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) is a non-profit organization devoted to “Ideas worth spreading.” The talks, presented by highly accomplished professionals in their fields, range on a wide variety of subjects.
The forum will meet for three one-hour sessions and will include viewing two or three talks followed by group discussion. The talks for each session will be selected to deal approximately with the same subject, possibly offering opposing opinions or points of view. The moderator of the forum will be Ted Bially, a long-term Sudbury resident who relishes a lively discussion. The forum will meet from 7-8 p.m.
Sponsored by the Sudbury Senior Center, the talks are open to all and free of charge. The class is limited to the first 30 who register. Call 978-443-3055 for information and registration.
3. TIME TO GET FIT: Join a class that uses stretch bands and hand weights for a great workout at Congregation Beth Elohim (133 Prospect St, Acton) for only $10. Instructor Sean Denmark has taught fitness for 30 years and was the Acton-Boxborogh Regional High School Fitness Center supervisor.
4. CELEBRATE WITH SARAH PALIN: Today is Alaska Day, which marks the anniversary of the formal transfer of the territory from Russia to the United States and the raising of the U.S. flag at Sitka on Oct. 18, 1867. It is usually celebrated on Oct. 18 each year.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1767 — The boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania, the Mason-Dixon line, was agreed upon; 1931 — Inventor Thomas Edison died in West Orange, N.J., at age 84; 1968 — The U.S. Olympic Committee suspended two black athletes for giving a "black power" salute during a victory ceremony at the Mexico City games.