1. FORECAST: Today — A chance of showers. Patchy fog before noon. Otherwise, cloudy, with a high near 58. Tonight — A chance of rain, mainly before 3 a.m. Patchy fog after 9 p.m. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 45.
2. TODAY IS MOLDY CHEESE DAY: Yes, it's true. And here are a couple of facts you may have not known about moldy cheese:
- If you find moldy cheese, take a slice off each side. The insides should still be good.
- Mold is common in cheese. It's part of what gives a particular cheese flavor and character. For example, the blue stuff in Blu Cheese is mold.
3. PATCH USES SOCIAL MEDIA, TOO: Are you a fan of Facebook or Twitter? If so, did you know you can follow us using those social media outlets? Whenever an article, announcement or event posts to Patch, it also posts to its Facebook and Twitter pages. Click on the following links to "Like" or "Follow" us:
4. YOU CAN POST DIRECTLY TO PATCH: You are probably used to emailing your local Patch editor whenever you want an announcement or event posted to the site. But did you know you can do it yourself? We have a video tutorial explaining how quick and easy it is. Just click here to get started.
5. THIS DAY IN HISTORY: 1888 – The Washington Monument officially opens to the general public;1919 – Black Sox scandal: The Cincinnati Reds win the World Series;1969 – In Chicago, the United States National Guard is called in for crowd control as demonstrations continue in connection with the trial of the "Chicago Eight" that began on Sept. 24; 2001 – Second mailing of anthrax letters from Trenton, N.J., in the 2001 anthrax attack.