What people are saying on Facebook about the earthquake:
- Michael Montoya We felt it here in Mendon just a little while ago
- Paula Mackenzi It WAS an earthquake! wild!
- Chris Johnson We felt it in north sudbury off of mossman
- Becky Konieczny We felt it in North Andover - centered in Maine
- Margaret Phoenix Framingham!
- CariAnne Kreml Felt shaking in North Sudbury...
- William Hekking felt it in Forge Village, Westford...
- Sally Donaldson-Taylor Me, Boxborough
- Cindy Bechard Yes! West Acton, some rumbling and floor shifting for about a minute.....
- Ksenia Hill Yes! I felt something in Acton!
Statement from Gov. Deval Patrick on tonight's earthquake:
Many Massachusetts residents felt the effects of an earthquake tonight. According to MEMA, which is monitoring events and has briefed me, the quake was centered some 30 miles outside of Portland, Maine. So far, we have no reports of injury or damage in Massachusetts. MEMA will continue to monitor the situation closely. Residents should use caution if they encounter any damage and take a minute to check in on neighbors, family and friends.
The earthquake has been downgraded to a 4.0, according to the USGS: http://t.co/1Eopk7Ck.
Three area residents contacted Sudbury and Acton Patch asking if an earthquake just happened.
Cliff McGann of SudburyTV said at Town Hall an earthquake was reported in Chelmsford at about 7:15 p.m.
Sudbury resident Diane Johnson wrote to Sudbury Patch asking: "Was that an earthquake??? It just shook our houses big time!!!"
Resident Paula McKenzie called asking the same question.
Acton resident Kim Feinstein said she tried calling police department but their "lines are flooded. I couldn't get through."
Sudbury resident Thom Kenney said: " ... we felt the aftershocks here about 10 minutes later."
According to Malden Patch, small tremors were felt in the Greater Boston area after a 4.5 magnitude Earthquake near Lake Arrowhead, Maine.
Did you feel it? Tell us in the comments section.