Written By: Jen Block
- Talk about your family’s values (we are kind – why is that important?, we are fair even though sometimes other people are not, we always will tell the truth even though it may get us in to trouble, etc).
- Establish clear routines and structure for your household.
- Be interested in your children’s lives and ask specific questions. They crave time with you; make sure when you have time allotted for them (no computer, cell phone, TV, etc)!
- Play “school” with your children. As they reflect on their daily experience in the classroom, you will learn a lot about how your child behaves.
- Try not to overload your child. Being in school is challenging on the mind and can be tiring on the body, have some unstructured time and room for creative play.
- Commit to making Family Time a priority (dinner at the table, game night, cookie decorating, etc). This will help celebrate your family as a TEAM! Also, this creates many bonds and special memories that both you and your children will hold close in your hearts.
- Express your love for your children and never go to bed being upset. Resolve any conflict prior to saying “Good-Night”!
- Keep your marriage healthy and harmonious as children react to the energy of their parents.
- Be firm, yet fair, consistent and have FUN with your children!
- Let your child be a child! They grow up too fast!
Bio: Jen Block is the Associate Director at Camp Sewataro. She herself was a camper and Waterfront staff member in the 80’s. She returned to Sewataro in 2007 and now her daughter is sharing in the Sewataro experience.