LS Boys Hockey Beats Triton in Playoff Showdown

Recap of LS Boys Hockey Win over Triton 2/28/12

Lincoln-Sudbury and Triton boys hockey met in Woburn Tuesday night for the first round of this years playoffs.

The first period was fast and physical. Triton came out aggressive and attacking, and they even got an early goal off a fast break opportunity. However it was the positioning and execution by LS that prevailed in the period, as they limited Tritons opportunities to get off good shots or settle in the offensive end.

Conversely, LS was able to establish several long possessions on offense, and seniors Frankie Mooney and Colin DeFrancesco were able to score goals that where a result of efficient passing and good shot selection. Late in the period Triton got one of their few scoring opportunities of the period, but the LS defense rose to the occasion and kept the score at two to one to end the period. 

After the break, both teams came out on the ice with an intensity that would be the story of the period. Right off the faceoff, Triton got off several good shots on net, but a combination of good defense and a couple of great saves by goalie Erik Kessler kept Triton off the scoreboard. Once LS got the puck out to their offense, they never looked back, as they landed nearly a dozen shots on net and possessed the puck for the majority of the period.

These long possessions and stifling defense gave Colin DeFrancesco another chance in a one on one situation, and he took advantage by beating his man and bringing the crowd to their feet with an electrifying score. By the end of the period Tritons first lines were worn out as a result of extended playing time in an effort to mount a comeback. This allowed LS to dominate the time of possession and go into the intermission with momentum on their side. 

During the break, LS was ecstatic in the locker room, and their play to start the third period reflected that. However LS's high energy play was matched by Triton who seemed revived after the break. The pace of the game accelerated to the point where neither team got a settled possession until four minutes had come off the clock, with both team firing off an array of shots and earned LS another goal off the stick of freshman Jacob Sacher.

After the blazing start, LS began to slow the game down with better defense and getting settled possessions on offense. From the eight minute mark down to three minutes remaining, Triton didn't see the puck for more than a moment. At the three minute mark however, Triton took advantage of an opportunity right in front of the crease on offense, and brought the score to 4-2. After this, Triton came off the face-off with reckless abandon, clearly energized by the potential to make a miraculous comeback. This coming out party was halted by punishing play by the LS defenders and senior Kyle Anderson though, and LS was able to close out the game with possession of the puck and victory in their grasp.

Overall, this was a game that LS took charge of from the start, and despite several high energy spurts by Triton, had in control through the final whistle. Intense, physical play from both teams made for many exciting plays and an overall great game.

This post is contributed by a community member. The views expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Patch Media Corporation. Everyone is welcome to submit a post to Patch. If you'd like to post a blog, go here to get started.

EARL SLAVE FINGURS January 24, 2013 at 09:34 PM
EARL SLAVE FINGURS January 24, 2013 at 09:36 PM
smells like a good time


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »