With school starting this week for Lincoln-Sudbury Regional High School and next week for Sudbury Public Schools, parents living on or near Landham Road will have to do some creative thinking if they plan on driving their kids to school.
According to DPW Director Bill Place, the Landham Road bridge will be closed until Sept. 9, with a possibility of that date being extended. The most recent update stated an end to construction was pegged for Sept. 3.
"We'll have a pretty good idea by this Friday as to how much longer we'll have," Place said. "We'll start setting the culverts (Aug. 28). This will take through the ninth and 10th of September but you never really know what you are going to find. I'm more optimistic for the week of the ninth."
Police Chief Scott Nix said school officials have been alerted bussing of students will be affected longer than originally thought.
"We have notified both superintendents and I had Sgt. (Richard) MacLean notify the bus lot," Nix said. "We're hoping people take the time to seek alternate routes when their kids start school."
Place the department became aware of the rusty culvert earlier this month when it received a call about a pothole in the area.
"We took pictures and saw that it is all rusted out," Place said. "It has to be replaced."
Place said the metal culvert, which is more than 40 years old, will disintegrate as rusting progresses.
The overall cost of the project will be roughly $200,000.