At a special meeting recently involving the town manager, Board of Selectmen and other town leaders, a list of goals was put together and discussed for the next year.
Topping the list was a RFP for town counsel.
"The first step is to create a working committee, staff it with people who are always in the office," Town Manager Maureen Valente said.
Among those recommended by Valente were Combined Facilities Director Jim Kelly, Director of Planning and Community Development Jody Kablack and Assistant Town Manager Maryanne Bilodeau.
"They frequently talk to counsel," Valente said.
Sudbury Police Chief Scott Nix volunteered his service to the committee, as did Selectman Len Simon, who is a retired lawyer.
A vote to create the committee and set its mission will be held Sept. 3 at the next meeting of the Selectmen.
"You want something in place by Jan. 1," Valente said. "That means the new person will work for us and get ready for Town Meeting. There's a lot to compress in that time. I’m using that assumption because we voted for a 6-month extension (of Paul Kenny's contract)."
Selectman Bob Haarde, who was not present at the meeting, will be shown the notes to the meeting so he can gauge his interest in the committee.
Among the issues to be voted on is paying counsel via billable hours vs. a retainer.
The other goals that were discussed were:
2. Strategic Fin Planning-OPEB (discussed on Sept. 3)
3. Strategic Fin Planning-Capital Funding (discussed on Sept. 3)
4. State of the Town Forum-how to do (discussed on Sept. 3)
5. Close out the health claims trust fund
6. Determine concept for Bruce Freeman Rail Trail
7. Pursue ownership of CSX land?
8. Update rules and regs for alcohol licenses
9. Future of Rte. 20 police station
10. Article for police station construction
11. Expand Davis Field
12. Expanded Inter-Municipal Agreement (LS fields)
13. Minuteman decisions
14. Engineering funds/article for wastewater
15. Discussions with Marlborough
16. Replace Fairbank roof