(EDITOR'S NOTE: The following was forwarded to Sudbury Patch.)
Dear SPS Families:
As you know, we have been reviewing our safety processes and procedures in collaboration with the Sudbury Police department and we are moving forward with implementation of enhancements to our security practices. Some of the enhancements will be quite visible while others, though no less important, may not be discernible. Over the past two weeks we have explored available options and discussed these options with district principals and Sudbury police and we are now working to obtain enhanced security devices at each school. We also are in the process of identifying a security consultant who will advise us on other possible appropriate measures.
The School Committee and district administration are committed to incorporating identified enhancements in a thoughtful manner, as quickly as possible. In the interim, while we finalize our plans, we ask for your cooperation and patience. Effective immediately the following procedures will be implemented at all schools:
- All non-staff visitors to our schools must identify themselves upon entering a building and state the reason for the visit
- All non-staff visitors should be prepared to produce photo ID if requested by staff at school entries (ID will be requested and required for anyone who is unknown to the staff members facilitating access to the building)
- Any non-staff visitor who does not have a verified purpose for entering the building will be denied access
- All non-staff visitors will be asked to sign-in and indicate arrival time on the register provided
- After checking in all visitors to the schools will be required to obtain a visitors badge, write their name and date on the badge and wear the badge while on campus
- Upon leaving any school building all non-staff visitors will be expected to sign-out and record the time leaving the building
- All non-staff visitors may only enter and exit the building through the front doors
- Students who attend morning activities before the start of the school day will be met at the front door of the school and escorted by the supervisor of the activity
As additional enhancements are made, your school principal and/or I will communicate with you regarding implications for non-staff visitors to school. We place the highest priority on the safety of our students and staff and we appreciate your cooperation and patience as we work toward enhancing the security measures already in place in our buildings. We value the input and support provided by parents and staff members and we look forward to continuing to work together.